Monday, May 4, 2009

this is just to say...

i read a (an?) hilarious spoof by teachermommy (go there! read, laugh, comment!) of william carlos williams' poem "this is just to say" on which lead me to two other blogs and their versions . . . and their commenters' versions . . . i woke up my poor tim laughing so hard i shook the bed. so, even though i come to it late, of course i must give it a shot.

first, the original:

This Is Just to Say
— William Carlos Williams

I have eaten
the plums
that were in
the icebox

and which
you were probably
saving
for breakfast

Forgive me
they were delicious
so sweet
and so cold

and mine (taken directly from my life experience, by the way):

all your
formerly
manly undies
and t-shirts

are now a
distinctly
feminine shade
of pink

forgive me
for not
discovering
the red sock

then, in a fit of boredom, i challenged the kids to write their own. tori and andrew ignored me, of course, but michelle (my beautiful and, it is now obvious to me, multi-talented daughter-in-law) rose to the challenge and summarized the parenting experience far better than i ever could have. in fact, it's so good, i will make the extra effort to include her capitalization:

My head is throbbing worse with every word you say.
Monkey monkey cars truck milk leche leche pees?
FINALLY, your drowsy smile can cure it all.

she paints, she draws, she does movie monster makeup . . . and even though she says she never liked it, she writes poetry. love that girl! michelle, those three lines are exactly what it's like to have a almost-two year old.

2 comments:

Teacher Mommy said...

LOL! Both are great--yours made me giggle because OH so true...and you captured that sort of off-hand apology that WCW portrays so well in the original poem!

I have been lurking on your blog from time to time as well, truth be told...maybe I'll visit more often now. :)

anymommy said...

Your version is funny - and I really loved your DILs. You're right - she's pegged toddlers exactly.